2012. június 12., kedd

SOMETHING CHILDISH BUT VERY NATURAL. By Katherine Mansfield

(...)Henry was a great fellow for books. He did not read many nor did he possess above halftime and at any odd time in London; the quantity with which he was on nodding terms was amazing. By his clean neat handling of them and by his nice choice of phrase when discussing them with one or another bookseller you would have thought that he had taken his pap with a tome propped before his nurse's bosom. But you would have been quite wrong. That was only Henry's way with everything he touched or said. That afternoon it was an anthology of English poetry, and he turned over the pages until  a title struck his eye: 

Something Childish but very Natural


Had I but two little wings,
And were a little feathery bird,
To you I'd fly, my dear,
But thoughts like these are idle things,
And I stay here.

But in my sleep to you I fly,
I'm always with you in my sleep,
The world is all one's own,
But then one wakes and where am I?
All, all alone.

Sleep stays not though a monarch bids,
So I love to wake at break of day,
For though my sleep be gone, 
Yet while' tis dark one shuts one's lids,
And so, dreams on.
(...)



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése